Present Graeme, Andy, Bob, Paula
Subjects covered in the discussion.
- Auckland Cycling Programme
- Portage Walks in the Heritage Festival that will be run by us
- Ponsonby Rd side road raised tables.
- Countdown carpark exit onto Pollen street is not good for pedestrians. We will observe take photos and build a case.
- Ask for a speaking slot at the Ak Transport Board meeting to bringup drives crossing footpaths.
- SkyPath update.
Present. Bob, Andy, Graeme
Talked about the raised platforms being install on side streets of Ponsonby Rd.
Approved payments for the Waterproof your walk project.
Gave our Vision for the refresh of the Auckland Plan.
Present Graeme, Bob Audrey, Paula, Andy, Jackie
Grey Lynn Greenway is opening June 2 and you are all invited.
We talked of the Waterproof you Walk project that Ak Transport contracted us to undertake. Bob and Andy did work for this and will be paid from the amount received.
Hern Bay cycling and walking improvements around Sarsfield and Curran sts was talked about. A difficult area.
In Hepburn st parking on the berm is out of control. GE will talk with KK about policy.
Dominos and Hell Pizza are using electric bikes on footpaths in the Ponsonby area. We will start photographing the offenders.
The Clendon petition for footpath cycling was discussed.
Present Jen, Andy, Graeme, Bob
Walk Auckland in conjunction with Civic Trust Auckland will run 2 walks during the Heritage Festival. Named Walk the Waka we will walk 2 portages between the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea. Sept 8 Otahuhu and Sept 15 New Lynn
Bob and Andy are working on a project for Ak Transport. Its all about waterproofing your walk and we are logging the covered paths in the CBD.
Present Gay, Graeme, Bob, Andy, Eleanor,
Apologies Paula, Audrey, Sandra
Results of Andy and Graeme’s meeting with Kathryn King was discussed
We need to find recent example of undulating footpaths due to driveways as they should not occur.
Updates for the Wellesley st buses changes and the 2WALKandCYCLE conference
Report from the Walking Alliance launch.
Present. Andy, Eleanor, Gay, Bob, Graeme
Apologies. Jen, Paula
We chatted about the Footpath Cycling research that has just been published by NZTA. We listened to Morning Reports from Radio NZ on the same subject.
The NZTA is supporting footpath cycling. Our members dont agree with this.
Present Jacob, Richard, Gay, Graeme, Mike B, Jackie
We welcome Jackie to her first meeting.
Ian McKinnon Drive. Richard reported back and found most of the pedestrian ideas were ignored in the design. Jackie suggested that a Safety Audit for Pedestrians should be done. Jackie found that Chris Jones called this a Non Motorised User Audit.
At the next Kathryn King meeting we will bring up the point that the AT Walking page is sunk into the Cycling page.
Open Streets will be in April
Andy meet with the Outboard Motor Club about Stage 4 of the GI to Tamaki shared path. They have valid concerns of having there land purchased by AT and are looking for a win win result.
Present Gay, Eleanor, Kit, Bob, Paula, Andy
Apologies Graeme, Richard
AGM. The financial report was tabled and accepted by all. A vote took place for coordinator/treasurer and Andy Smith was re- elected with Graeme Easte as a bank account signatory.
The financial report will be available on the Charities website in the next few days.
Discussion happened over drinks and snax.
Kit “Views and view shafts are the inspiration during a walk on the Auckland paths.”
Present Bob, Richard
Apologies Andy, Graeme
At this week’s Walk Auckland meeting we discussed putting in a submission on the proposed changes to Karangahape Road. The points we thought to include are:
-improving the footpath surface on Karangahape Road as its extremely slippery when there is any rain
-the need to keep a coherent walking route on both sides of the road that is free of street furniture
-The need to improve the ability of pedestrians to cross Gundry Street. Its currently a very wide road and is hard and hazardous to cross
-the need to improve the ability to cross Edinburgh Street. This is currently a bit of a nightmare- there are no lights and its difficult for pedestrians to judge if vehicles travelling from Howe Street are turning into Karangahape Road or into Edinburgh Street
-While the Ponsonby Road/ Karangahape Road intersection is specifically excluded from the proposed improvements, we think it should be included. Its currently a very difficult and slow intersection for pedestrians to travel through due to the large number of vehicle phases and the absence of any automatic pedestrian phasing- this is a key intersection for pedestrian commuters.
Apologies: Andy Smith.
1. Consultation on K Road cycleway – impact on pedestrians. Speculation that pedestrian crossing opposite Myers Arcade will go. What will happen around bus stops? GE notes option of cyclists going around the back, as in Melbourne (Ben Rossiter the expert). BT will prepare a proposal for Walk Auckland.
2. GE and Andy Smith will attend a meeting with Auckland Transport on Nov 11, to ensure Walk Ak gets similar access/treatment as Cycle Auckland. Likely items to discuss: next steps for the Path Project, new App being launched soon. Beca Carter and Fletcher Construction are offering free advisory service – any use for Walk Ak? GE says Greenways are now called Paths.
3. Pedestrians crossing entrances to private properties like supermarkets and petrol stations. Drop kerbs mean pedestrians have to step down off the footpath but it’s not there’s also the risk to pedestrians as vehicles drive in/out, need publicity and more awareness of pedestrians’ rights. Options include clear, obvious material of footpaths over driveways – pedestrian crossing stripes?
Meeting ended 6pm